Lemon and Ginger Britain Biscuits
I just couldn't resist this Britain cookie cutter. Usually when you try intricate patterns with a biscuit they go really wrong. This is either because they rise too much and you can't make out what the shape was supposed to be in the first place, or they break, which these did. The lemon and ginger combination here is incredibly good and the two are definitely better together.
70g soft brown sugar (I substituted about a quarter of this with Jaggery, an unrefined cane sugar, which tasted lovely)
Grated rind of 3 lemons (not the juice)
175g brown rice flour
75g ground almonds
2 tsps ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 180degrees.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until soft. Add the rind, ginger, flour and almonds and mix everything together.
3. Cover the mix and refrigerate for one hour.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface, cut out your shapes to a thickness of 5mm.
5. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the sides of the biscuits are turning golden. Leave to cool on the tray before placing a knife underneath to move them.