Bramley Apple Crumble
Autumn without crumble would be too tough to take. On the search for a dairy and gluten free recipe I came across this one from the lovely Chocolate and Zuccini blog.
The beauty of this dairy free recipe is that there’s no rubbing of fat and flour. I added some cinnamon spice and crunchy brazil and pecan nuts to ensure an equally satisfying, butter free pudding. If you’re a fan you can also add some raisins to the apple mixture, which turn out plump and delicious.
Comfort food at its very seasonal best.
Apple Crumble, adapted from the lovely Chocolate and Zuccini blog
100 grams (3.5 ounces, about 3/4 cup) gluten free flour (spelt flour or wholemeal also good for non gluten free)
100 grams (1 cup) rolled grains of your choice (oat, spelt, wheat, rye, quinoa, rice, barley... or a mix thereof) I just used oats
50 grams (1/2 cup) Demerara sugar or C&Z recommends unrefined sugar
Good handful of brazil nuts and / or pecans. You could also add pumpkin seeds, sunflower or sesame if you have them.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
80 ml (1/3 cup) oil (I used olive oil)
1.5 kilos apples (3 1/3 pounds, about 8 medium), preferably a mix of varieties, some that keep their shape when cooked, some that don't (I used Bramley and Granny Smith)
1. Turn on the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Wash your apples but leave the skins on for added fibre. Chop them into medium – large pieces, about 4-5cm big.
3. Place them in a covered saucepan with a little water, about ½ cup usually does it. Stew on a gentle heat for about 10 mins or until the apple turns fluffy. Take off the heat and add a good handful of raisins. Sweeten to taste depending on how ripe the apples are. Remember the topping is sweet and you’re looking for a contrast of tangy fruit with sweet topping.
4. Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and add the oil, ensuring it’s well mixed in with the sugar, flour and oats.
5. Grease a baking dish with a little oil and add in the apple mixture. Spoon on the crumble topping evenly across the dish.
6. Bake for approx 10-15 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve warm.