Lemon and Poppy Seed Spelt and Almond Cake
2 lemons, quartered and boiled in water until soft (about 30 mins)
4oz spelt flour
4oz ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
8oz jaggery, melted (an unrefined sugar or you can use 1/2 honey, 1/2 maple syrup)
1oz poppy seeds
1. With a hand held blender blend the lemons with 50ml of water until you get a pulp, then strain through a sieve.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and jaggery or sweet ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the eggs and mix until all combined. Add the lemon mixture.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, almond, poppy seeds and fold together.
5. Bake in two sandwich cake tins until golden and the top of the cakes spring back when pressed.
6. Cool on a wire rack and decorate with thick yoghurt and berries. Enjoy!